A variety of scholarships are available, from the University, the Faculties, and the School. Contact your Faculty for more information on central scholarships.
The School of Geography and Environmental Science supports three kinds of Honours scholarships:
- Merit Scholarships:
A number of $1,000 scholarships will be offered to students who enrol in the School of Geography and Environmental Honours program on the basis of academic merit. There is no need to apply.
- Needs Scholarships:
Students with demonstrable need may apply for grants of up to $1000 (apply to Honours Coordinator)
- Summer Vacation Scholarships:
Students expecting to complete at least third year studies in a relevant area and likely to proceed to Honours can apply for a scholarship, tenable for a duration of at least four weeks in the December to February period.Scholarship holders will be able to participate in research projects or pursue, under supervision, some independent work of mutual interest to the student and a staff member.The research may relate to a subsequent Honours project. The scholarship benefits include a stipend of $250 per week and, for students outside Melbourne, an allowance equivalent to an economy return rail fare.
Download an application form (PDF 77KB) and submit it to the Honours Coordinator
Departmental Facilities Available to Honours Students
A variety of facilities are available to you as an Honours student in this School. All requests (including special requirements such as access to specialised equipment, etc.), should be through your supervisor directly. The General Staff will be happy to help with any queries.
- GIS and IT lab computing and printing facilities
- Cartographic advice and extensive collection of Australian aerial photographs, plus 50,000 topographic and geological Australian and international maps
- Final binding of three thesis copies.
- Departmental photocopier access (charges apply)
- Field equipment (discuss with your supervisor)
- Laboratory facilities (discuss with your supervisor)