The project enjoyed the support of the Boards of all the Jewish congregations throughout New Zealand. In addition, most organization and nonaffiliated groups, which represented the New Zealand Jewish population, contributed.
The objective of the survey is to establish a better understanding of the views and needs of Jews in Australia and New Zealand, including:
- the experience of Jewish (and non-Jewish) education; the constant and changing elements in Jewish identity;
- the views of Jewish communities on the issues they see as of greatest priority;
- the views of Jewish communities on the services provided by communal organizations;
- the views of Jewish communities on areas of need in the community;
- the challenges facing families, and Jewish youth; the outlook for the future.
The material published here will provide information for better planning, funding and resourcing as well as help New Zealand Jewish communities to understand the specific challenges we face for the future. It is vital research for Jewish continuity. There is slight variation in totals because not all questions were answered by all the respondents.
- View the Report: The New Zealand Jewish Community [PDF, 3.6MB]