Study Overseas

Study Part of your Honours Program Overseas

Through study abroad and exchange you can go to just about any country in the world. Monash Arts has exchange partnerships with over 120 international universities. We have campuses in South Africa and Malaysia, and a teaching centre in Prato, Italy.

See Monash Arts Overseas Study Opportunities…

You can apply to study up to 24 points at a recognised overseas institution. Typically you would study 24 points of coursework units overseas in your first semester of honours and return to complete the research component in your second semester.

There are a lot of steps in the application and approval process. Remember your will need to apply to go overseas and to enter the honours program so you need to research and discuss your overseas placement early – at least six months prior to your enrolment in Honours.

Further information on applying to study honours units overseas can be found here:

Can you study research units overseas?

In special circumstances, Honours candidates will be permitted to undertake a coursework unit and part of their thesis overseas in their first semester of enrolment.

Candidates and the School/Discipline Honours Coordinator will be required to make a special case in writing to the Honours Convenor (at least 2 months before departure) detailing the nature of the research; the supervision arrangement (an external and internal supervisor must be appointed) and host institution experience.

Further, the external supervisor must be provided with the Monash guidelines for supervision and agree to forward a mid-term progress report before the commencement of the second semester of study. Candidates who receive approval to commence their thesis overseas will not be permitted to substantially change their thesis topic once they have enrolled at their host institution.

Application Process

Explore your overseas study options

See Monash Arts Overseas Study Opportunities…

Take note of the application process involved for the units you want to study overseas. You will need to apply for your overseas study in addition to applying for honours.

Discuss applications with area of study coordinator

Discuss your intended honours program and overseas unit selection with your school area of study coordinator:

Honours Coordinators…

Lodge Applications with Arts Student Services

Lodge your Monash Abroad or Arts Overseas Study Application form together with your Honours Application form at the Faculty Office.

Contact Arts Student Services

Help & Advice

If you require advice concerning your application for overseas study, please email: