The Performance Research Unit presented its inaugural symposium and masterclass on performance as research. The two day event had a specific focus on how questions are asked within, and of, performance as an integral part of the research process.
The symposium brought academic and professional practitioners together through performance presentations and discussion panels. It also presented an opportunity for honours and postgraduate students to present and discuss their own work. Questions covered included:
- What is being asked of/within Performance as Research?
- Where does practice sit with/as methodology?
- By what criteria do we gauge practice-based research as successful?
- What are we asking of whom, in the production, reception and dissemination of PaR?
- How best can critical feedback be framed and a critical discourse developed with and for PaR?
- Where in the performance process is (your) research located? How does the research process intersect with the performance process?
3-4 December 2009
Performing Arts Precinct, Monash University, Clayton Campus
- Dr Jane Griffiths (DTS, Monash Clayton)
- Danielle Wilde (Art and Design, Monash Caulfield / Materials Science and Engineering, CSIRO)
- Margaret Cameron (VU)
- Dawn Albinger (Edith Cowan)
- Geraldine Cook (Theatre Department, School of Performing Arts, VCAM, University of Melbourne)
- Dr Alison Richards
- Dr Felix Nobis
Composing for the Australian screen
A public lecture by renowned Australian composer Mary Finsterer followed by a screening of the…
Cultural specificity in Indonesian film
David Hanan writes of his work on Indonesian film My work on Indonesian cinema has focused…
B is for Bad Cinema
Monash University’s Film and Screen Studies experts, Dr Claire Perkins and Associate Professor Con Verevis,…
Wigs, tans, boobs: American hustling for Oscars
“Some of this actually happened.” So reads the non-committal title card that precedes the opening scene of David O’Russell’s sixth feature, American Hustle (2013) – a film nominated for 10 Oscars at the 2014 Academy Awards.
Sinophone Cinemas rich in fascinating case studies
Monash University senior lecturer in Film and Screen Studies, Dr Olivia Khoo, has edited a…
Student-centred learning seminar
A seminar on student-centred learning – contemporary Malaysian and Australian perspective will be held on…
MFJ equips students for fast-changing world
Welcome to the new School of Media, Film and Journalism, part of the Arts Faculty…
Joel Lazar wins Monash University Prize for Poetry
The School of English, Communications and Performance Studies would like to congratulate Joel Lazar on…
PhD Top-up scholarship opportunity: Assessing the Impact of MONA on the Local and Regional Cultural Economy
PhD Top-up scholarship opportunity: Assessing the Impact of MONA on the Local and Regional Cultural…
Transcultural. Transnational. Transformation. seeing, writing and reading performance across cultures 2011
Australasian Association for Theatre, Drama and Performance Studies Conference 28 June – 1 July 2011,…
From Sappho to… X: Classics, performance, reception
To coincide with Malthouse Theatre’s staging of the play Sappho…in 9 fragments, Monash University, Malthouse threate…
time.transcendence.performance brought together artists, designers and thinkers who work with time to explore how they…