Date/Time: Fri 02 Jun - Sun 04 Jun / 5:00 pm
Location: Paris Cat Jazz Club
Agency in Jazz and Improvisation
Call For Papers
Australasian Jazz and Improvisation Research Network and the Sir Zelman Cowen
School of Music – Monash University invite a call for papers for the inaugural conference:
Discussion around agency has accumulated in significant research and commentary about jazz and improvisation – particularly in terms of aesthetics, culture and cognition. The thrust of the discussion seems to have moved from assuming the musician has singular agency in his or her work to a more distributed agency where other agents collaborate to create music.
In this conference, we encourage a cross-section of researchers from the field to explore the notion of agency in jazz from multiple perspectives, including:the consequential and inter-related impact of diverse and dynamic agents on creativity and innovation in improvised and experimental Jazz;
- how agency is articulated in the analysis of performance/composition, including for example, identifying methods of analysis appropriate to a particular modality;
- articulating and accommodating sociological concepts of agency, such as maintaining allegiance to localities in globalised, post-diasporic Jazz;
- How agents and agencies are characterised in performance experimentation;
- The utilisation of agents and agencies external to the composer, performer and performance; and
- The contrasting frameworks of musicologists and experimental performers/composers in relation to agency
The list is by no means either exhaustive or exclusive. Contributors are encouraged to extend their grasp beyond their reach.
Papers and proposal for presentations that could include live performances are invited from researchers.
There will be two formats offered:Presentations/papers of 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes discussion
Post Graduate presentations/papers of 10 minutes followed by 10 minutes of panel discussion. These papers can be on the topic specific to their research with expert feedback by a panel
300 word abstracts/proposals and 150 word bios to be submitted by: 3rd April 2017 to email@example.com before 11:59 pm
Applicants will be informed of their acceptance by 15th April, 2017.
Friday 2nd June, (opening evening with complimentary refreshments) , Saturday 3rd June and Sunday 4th June, 2017
Lunch, morning and afternoon tea included in registration
Costs: (Incudes 1 year membership to AJIRN)
Conference Convener: Associate Professor Robert Burke
Conference Contact, Program Chair: Fiona Burnett
Please contact Fiona Burnett: firstname.lastname@example.org
Presented by The Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music – Monash University in association with the 2017 Melbourne International Festival of Jazz.