Europe, particularly through the European Union (EU), is a major contributor to the global economy and to innovation. As a powerful trade negotiator and a leading player in global issues such as the environment, development aid, social policy, education and human rights, the EU is increasingly recognized as a new force for global security and welfare with a growing political presence on the world stage.
European and EU Studies focuses is on the present, the past and the possible futures of Europe; its peoples and nations, individually and in relation to each other; its cultures, political and economic life, and the relationships that link Europe to the rest of the world. Students learn about the contribution that European thought and culture have made to the shaping of the modern world, as well as the significance of contemporary developments such as the creation and enlargement of the European Union. Students are encouraged to analyse, interpret, discuss and evaluate historical and contemporary texts that are representative of European ideas and culture, and to become familiar with the different forms of innovation that have characterised the development of the European Union.
- Students may undertake European and EU Studies as a minor and a major in the Bachelor of Arts, or as a minor in the Bachelor of Arts (Global). This area of study takes a look at the culture and ideas of modern Europe and their impact on the world today. Contemporary Europe, European integration and changing Read more
- For high-achieving students, a fourth-year Honours program is offered in European and EU Studies. Combined honours may be taken in European and EU Studies and another discipline, subject to the approval of both programs. Mid-year entry is available. Past projects undertaken by European and EU Studies Honours students have included cross-supervision with International Studies, French Studies and German Read more
- Master of European and International Studies Linking the faculties of Arts, Law, and Business and Economics the interdisciplinary Master of European and International Studies program aims to provide professionals or future professionals with a deep understanding of the institutional framework and policy-making processes of the European Union (EU) and its relations with non-EU countries, regions and international organizations. Read more
- EC grant funding to the MEEUC allows us to provide opportunities for financial support to students including: PhD scholarship (last application round was 2010) Post-confirmation top-up grants Masters and PhD travel support for undertaking research fieldwork in Europe and the region Bill Kent Memorial Essay Competition In addition, the Delegation of the EU to Australia and New Zealand generously sponsors Read more
- Studying abroad Monash University encourages its students to broaden their experience by studying overseas. For those specialising in European and EU Studies, the opportunity to study abroad is especially valuable. In addition to the Monash University Prato Centre in Italy, where both undergraduate and postgraduate European Studies units are available, students may choose to study at any of the Read more
- Students can undertake a European Studies internship for credit at both undergraduate and Masters level. Internship units complement and extend discipline-based knowledge already gained by students in an academic setting, by providing meaningful opportunities for research and project work within the workplace. Separate internship programs are drawn up for each student. Why do an internship unit? Gain employment Read more