The Monash European and EU Centre (MEEUC) is one of three centres in Australia funded by the European External Action Service and of 37 European Union (EU) Centres worldwide. Formally launched in Melbourne on 31 July 2006 by His Excellency Mr Bruno Julien, Ambassador and Head of the Delegation of the European Commission to Australia and New Zealand, the Centre is a joint undertaking by the Commission in Brussels and Monash University in Melbourne.
Under the directorship of Professor Pascaline Winand, a specialist in the EU and international relations who formerly taught at the European University Institute in Florence, the multidisciplinary Centre works with the faculties of Arts, Business and Economics and Law at Monash University to provide teaching, research and outreach programs on European and EU matters.
Key strengths of the Centre include the research expertise of its members and its multidisciplinary Master in European and International Studies.
- The strategic vision of the Monash European and EU Centre is to build upon Monash’s offerings in teaching and research on Europe and the EU, to establish an academic centre of excellence that: broadens the base of EU studies in Australia; improves the accessibility of EU studies to both undergraduate and postgraduate students; raises awareness of the EU ... Read more
- The mission of the Monash European and EU Centre is to: Explore the significance of the European Union (EU) and its peoples not only in Europe and the EU’s neighbouring countries, but also on the wider international scene, including in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, the USA and Africa Promote excellence in teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels ... Read more
- Teaching At the undergraduate level, the Centre offers major or minor sequences as part of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Arts (Global). The Centre’s teaching also forms the basis for a Diploma in European Studies and an Honours program. At the postgraduate level, the interdisciplinary Master in European and International Studies or the Graduate Diploma in European ... Read more
- The Centre relies on the advice of the wide range of prominent representatives of academia, research, business and government who are members of its Advisory Board. The composition of the Board reflects the commitment to the Centre of the highest levels of the University and of the Faculties of Arts, Business and Economics, and Law, ... Read more
- Activities of the Monash European and EU Centre are funded by grants including: European Union Centres program of the European External Action Service (Centre co-funded by Monash University and the European Commission) Jean Monnet Chair in European Integration and International Relations (Prof Pascaline Winand) Jean Monnet interdisciplinary module The EU and the Developing World Jean Monnet Multilateral Research Group ... Read more