The Sir John Monash Medal for Outstanding Achievement is awarded to final year undergraduate students with excellent academic records who have also demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment.
Benefits and number of awards
One Sir John Monash Medal is awarded to an Arts Faculty student per year. The medal will be proclaimed at the student’s graduation ceremony. The award will also be included on official University transcripts.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must be in the final year of their undergraduate degree and qualify for the award of Bachelor/Honours at the end of semester two examinations.
- Recipients of the Sir John Monash Medal must have a minimum of an overall average grade of Credit.
- Recipients must also be seen to have demonstrated a significant commitment, while at Monash, to advancing the University’s goals of social justice, human rights and a sustainable environment (community service, sports, performance, etc)
- No student who has failed a unit is eligible for this award, except under exceptional circumstances.
- Former winners of the Sir John Monash medal are not eligible to apply.
- A student will be considered for the medal only by the faculty in which they are enrolled. In the case of a student enrolled in a double or combined degree, only the managing (enrolling) faculty should consider the student for an award.
Nomination and selection process
A nomination can be made by the student, a fellow student, any Monash staff member, or any member of the community by completing the nomination form.
- The nomination must include a letter explaining the reason for the nomination, any supporting evidence which could be of use to the selection committee and permission from the student to have his or her records released to the selection committee.
- The selection committee, comprising the Associate Dean (Education), Group Manager, Academic and Student Services and Faculty Transition Coordinator, will determine the student to be awarded the Sir John Monash Medal at the end of the academic year.
Nomination form and deadline
Deadline for nominations: 15 November at 5.00pm.
The nomination form can be found here.