- Why research in our school?
- About Research Degrees in the School of English, Communications and Performance Studies
- How do I write a research proposal?
- How to apply
- Further information
Within our school, we offer Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students access to a range of research supervisors of international and national standing in their fields. Our award-winning supervisors offer their experience and insight to support original, diverse and innovative HDR projects. We support an array of projects within and across disciplines at both PhD and Masters level.
The School of English, Communications and Performance Studies is interdisciplinary, outward-looking and intellectually progressive. We sit at the forefront of academic thought in our domain.
We foster a culture of national and international collaboration; pursuing a number of major research events annually – including workshops, symposia, screenings, performances and conferences. Higher Degree by Research students are encouraged to contribute, interact and engage in these events.
The spread of research and ideas is encouraged and supported through talking, publishing, and collaborating. Research students sustain an active publishing program, with scope for postgraduate publishing opportunities, including the lively postgraduate journal Colloquy. Our school forms an integral component of a broader academic network – encompassing industry, government, other universities, the non-profit and private sectors.
Our research culture is complemented by Faculty of Arts research skills seminars, including:
- Tricks of the Trade;
- The Graduate Researchers in Print Program; and
- access to world-class Monash University library resources.
Opportunities for school, Faculty and University-level financial support are available for HDR research projects.
- School of English, Communications and Performance Studies scholarships and prizes
- Arts Postgraduate Research Scholarships and grants
- Monash Research Graduate School
Our school has dedicated staff members, including a Graduate Studies Officer, who is able to assist with personalised graduate research information to ensure smooth progress throughout your candidature.
Undertake your research in our preeminent research units:
- Film Culture and Theory
- Media Studies
- Centre for Australian and Postcolonial Writing
- Centre for The Book
- European Philosophy
- Suggestions for how to write your research proposal