Date(s) - 8 Jul 2012 until 11 Jul 2012
12:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Monash University Prato
A symposium convened by the Research Unit in Film Culture and Theory in the School of English, Communications and Performance Studies and the National Centre for Australian Studies in the School of Journalism, Australian and Indigenous Studies.
This interdisciplinary symposium brings scholars at Monash University in Australian film and television studies and Australian cultural studies together with an invited group of distinguished scholars – Professor Meaghan Morris (University of Sydney/Lingnan, HK), Professor Graeme Turner (University of Queensland) and Associate Professor Chris Healy (University of Melbourne) – to discuss international aspects of Australian film and television. Recent responses to what Ben Goldsmith has dubbed “the international turn” in Australian film and television have tended to focus on issues of industry practices and economics. The aim of this event is to supplement that work by developing new historical and cultural critical frameworks for analyzing “offshore processes” in the production of Australian screen content and the inter-cultural interactions of its reception.
Topics for discussion include: Asian Australian film, travelling television, international reception of Indigenous film and television, Australian women’s transnational filmmaking, Australian historical documentary, Australian television exports, locating television in the post-broadcast era, film and international print culture and Australian Indigenous mainstream film and television.
- Meaghan Morris (University of Sydney/Lingnan HK)
- Graeme Turner (University of Queensland)
- Chris Healy (University of Melbourne)
- Dr James Bennett (University of Newcastle)
- Dr Vanessa Castejon (University Paris 13)
- Dr Anna Cole (Goldsmiths College, University of London)
- Dr Liz Conor (Monash University)
- Dr Therese Davis (Monash University)
- Associate Professor Lisa French (RMIT University)
- Associate Professor Mark Gibson (Monash University)
- Dr Oliver Haag (Austrian Research Center for Transcultural Studies)
- Dr Olivia Khoo (Monash University)
- Dr Tony Moore (Monash University)
- Dr Belinda Smaill (Monash University)
- Dr Jinna Tay (Monash University)
- Dr Sylvana Tuccio (artistic director of the film culture event Sguardi australiani, Genoa 2002-2006 and author of the edited collection Sguardi australiani: idee, immaginari e cinema degli antipodi, Le Mani, 2005)
- Dr Liz Conor, National Centre for Australian Studies
- Dr Therese Davis, Head of Film and Television Studies
- Associate Professor Mark Gibson, National Centre for Australian Studies
- Dr Tony Moore, Director, National Centre for Australian Studies
8pm at Ristorante Limonaia at Villa Torlonia (transport will be provided).
Full registration, including public lecture, screenings and workshop/roundtable
See the Monash Prato Centre’s website for more information.