Chinese studies is currently the largest language program at Monash University. It is taught on the Clayton campus and caters for the needs of students with language proficiency ranging from introductory to advanced level. A special translation stream in the Chinese studies major is available for students with advanced language proficiency. At Monash, the study of the Chinese language is strongly supported by offerings on Chinese culture, society and politics available both within the School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics and in other schools of the Faculty of Arts. Some examples are: Understanding Asia, Understanding Modern and Contemporary China, Borderless Media in East Asia and Chinese Media Analysis.
The Program also provides graduate supervision on a wide range of China-related research topics that reflect the expertise of its academic staff. Current research activities of the Program’s staff include: modern and contemporary Chinese thought, elite Chinese politics, history of the PRC, Chinese children’s literature, moral education in China, literature and culture of the Mao and post-Mao periods, teaching Chinese as a second/heritage language, language and immigrant identity, second language acquisition and Sinophone communications in the digital age (spanning cultural and media studies and sociolinguistics).
Chinese Studies is a multidisciplinary program that provides students with rigorous language training and the knowledge and skills essential for the study of modern and contemporary China.
- Following Alistair Bayley‘s win of the World Champion title of the Chinese Bridge competition last year, he once again, won the Many Languages, One World Essay ... Read more
- Our student, Alistair Bayley, currently in Advanced Chinese 4 and Chinese Translation 2, won both the world champion and the champion of Oceania at the ... Read more
- Monash advanced Chinese language student Alistair Bayley will travel to Changsha in Hunan Province, China in July 2013 to represent Victorian universities in the final ... Read more
- The Scholarships program for 2013 – 2014 has recently been released to eligible students of Australian citizenship from Monash University. Applications should be submitted to ... Read more
- The new CEFR Website homepage The School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics at Monash has recently adopted the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) ... Read more