Centre for Writers and Writing is a centre focussed on the research and practice of writing, both creative and critical. Our centre provides a research space for the nexus between creative and critical writing, and an interface between critics and practitioners. It also provides a hub for potential writers-in-residence, for visiting Australian and international writers and for critical practices including literary journalism and book reviewing. Our Centre engages with the Melbourne Writers Festival, Emerging Writers’ Festival, and the Wheeler Centre for Books, Ideas and Writing, and it hosts Monash’s creative writing journal Verge.
Among our current members are some of Australia’s leading scholars and practitioners of literary scholarship and creative writing, and our past guest speakers and collaborators have included some of the world’s and Australia’s most important and most exciting literary thinkers and authors, including Homi Bhabha, Wole Soyinka, Alexis Wright, Robert Young, Bill Ashcroft, Adam Shoemaker, Maureen Freely, David Morely, Serenella Iovino, Trevor Harris, Elleke Boehmer, Frank Sculze-Engler, Sissy Helff, Tapati Gupta, Jewell Parker Rose, Stephen Muecke, Kim Scott, Robert Drewe, Janette Turner Hospital, Gig Ryan, Tony Birch, Jeff Sparrow, Meg Mundell, Jessica L. Wilkinson, Peter Goldworthy, John Mateer and Tariro Mavondo. We focus on work by established as well as emerging Australian and international authors, including fiction writers, poets and writers of creative non-fiction.
- Thursday 19 May 2016, 12:30pm – 2pm N602 – Menzies Building 20 Chancellor’s Walk Monash University Clayton Campus Abstract Jack Mannheim was always able to dazzle strangers with the story of ... Read more
- Place and Character: Monash Prize judge Mridula Chakraborty on what she loves to see in new literatureMonash Arts recently chatted to Monash Undergraduate Prize for Creative Writing judge (and Monash academic) Mridula Chakraborty about what she loves to see in literature, her ... Read more
- Seminar by Dr Christiane Schlote on Humanitarian Aid: Representation, Commodification, GlamorisationPresenter: Dr Christiane Schlote Topic: Humanitarian Aid: Representation, Commodification, Glamorisation Time & Date: Wed April 6, 2016, 3.30 pm – 5 pm Location: Monash University Clayton Campus, 20 ... Read more
- Presenter: Daniel Ogden Topic: David Lagercrantz and the Millennium Legacy Time & Date: March 23, 2016, 12.30 pm – 2 pm Location: 20 Chancellor’s Walk, Room E561 The Centre ... Read more
- The Fifth Biennial International Conference of the Contemporary Women’s Writing Association CONTEMPORARY WOMEN’S WRITING AND ENVIRONMENTS Hosted by RMIT, Monash and Deakin Universities, Melbourne, Australia 3-5 July 2014 Sponsored ... Read more
- Presented by Monash University Centre for Postcolonial Writing 21 September 2012 10am-3pm MUMA – Monash University Museum of Art Building F, Monash University Caulfield Campus 900 Dandenong Road, Caulfield East ... Read more