Monash University and Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University are proud to announce an international conference on the memory and the meaning of Gallipoli/ Çanakkale.
When: Thursday 21 – Sunday 24 May 2015
The conference program will straddle four days of papers, performances and presentations, beginning with a tour of the Gallipoli/ Çanakkale battlefields. It will feature the work of leading scholars of war and memory, and will include a musical performance and a commemorative service beside Anzac Cove.
Where: Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, Dardanos campus
Program and Speakers
Poetry Reading: This Intimate War: contemporary Australian/Turkish poems on the Gallipoli/Canakkale war
During the conference, Dr. Robyn Rowland and her Turkish translator Dr. Mehmet Ali Çelikel will be holding a Poetry Reading from their forthcoming book: This Intimate War Gallipoli/Çanakkale 1915 – İçlİ Dışlı Bİr Savaş: Gelİbolu/Çanakkale 1915.
Writings on Gallipoli have tended to represent only the Australian history and experience, rarely a dual vision. This book is the only contemporary Australian/Turkish book of poems on the Gallipoli/Canakkale war, and is a moving and intimate portrait of two countries at war.
For more information about the book, and the author and translator see:
- The Battles: Strategies, Logistics, Commanders and Soldiers Read more
- Remembering and Forgetting War: Conflict and Reconciliation Read more
- Gallipoli/ Çanakkale Journeys: Tourism and Pilgrimage Read more
- Inscribing Gallipoli/ Çanakkale: Literary Visions Conflict and Reconciliation Read more
- Painting the Peninsula: Art, Film and Visual representations Read more
- Imagining Gallipoli/ Çanakkale: post memory and the media Read more
- Contested Ground: The politics of Gallipoli/ Çanakkale Read more
- Site Lines: Heritage, preservation and material culture Read more